Workshops for Children
“From the moment they began, the children were mesmerized. Guy Mendilow is not only a talented musician, but a gifted educator as well. He could read the group perfectly and knew exactly what the students needed next. The other musicians in the group were equally talented and the whole group together was one of the best performances I have experienced in over 26 years of education.”
— Tina Monroe, Principal, Indian Creek Elementary School, Cedar Rapids IA
Move the Music!
Length: 30-45 minutes
Ages: 4 - 12 year old in age appropriate groups
Single workshop or multi-day residency • Best suited for a maximum group of 15
Move the Music! is a cross-cultural program that gives children music-making tools:
- Through games that get participants singing, galloping, speaking, laughing and playing instruments from drums to recycled junk percussion.
- Through kinesthetic games where children improvise movement responses to the music and learn how musical concepts feel in their own bodies.
MOVE THE MUSIC!:
- Is always fresh because all music is improvised live, in the classroom.
- Gives children the unique experience of having the music follow their movement as well as exploring how they can feel the music in their bodies.
- Nurtures creative problem solving, self-expression, and leadership skill
- Is based on the widely recognized Dalcroze Eurhythmics approach, in which Guy holds international certification as well a Masters degree.
- Residencies for older children often culminate in participant-produced CDs or songwriting for musical plays. Ask us for samples of previous works!
Around the World in Song
Length: 30-60 minutes
Ages: 5 - 12 year old in age appropriate groups
Single workshop or multi-day residency • suitable for groups of any size • Teacher Resource Materials Available
In this workshop:
- Children meet some of the most important members of the band: the instruments themselves, such as the berimbau, the munnharpa (jaw harp), the Peruvian cajon (box drum) and overtone singing,
- Fun stories, exciting rhythm games and joyous sing-alongs, in up to six languages, introduce children to music from around the world.