Workshops for Children
Move the Music!
Length: 30-45 minutes
Ages: 4 - 12 year old in age appropriate groups
Single workshop or multi-day residency • Best suited for a maximum group of 15
Move the Music! is a cross-cultural program that gives children music-making tools:
- Through games that get participants singing, galloping, speaking, laughing and playing instruments from drums to recycled junk percussion.
- Through kinesthetic games where children improvise movement responses to the music and learn how musical concepts feel in their own bodies.
MOVE THE MUSIC!:
- Is always fresh because all music is improvised live, in the classroom.
- Gives children the unique experience of having the music follow their movement as well as exploring how they can feel the music in their bodies.
- Nurtures creative problem solving, self-expression, and leadership skill
- Is based on the widely recognized Dalcroze Eurhythmics approach, in which Guy holds international certification as well a Masters degree.
- Residencies for older children often culminate in participant-produced CDs or songwriting for musical plays. Ask us for samples of previous works!
Around the World in Song
Length: 30-60 minutes
Ages: 5 - 12 year old in age appropriate groups
Single workshop or multi-day residency • suitable for groups of any size • Teacher Resource Materials Available
In this workshop:
- Children meet some of the most important members of the band: the instruments themselves, such as the berimbau, the munnharpa (jaw harp), the Peruvian cajon (box drum) and overtone singing,
- Fun stories, exciting rhythm games and joyous sing-alongs, in up to six languages, introduce children to music from around the world.